Dreaming of MBA : Its time to Believe in yourself, Shred Myths
Hello Friends, Well starting from the fine article by @amita about “Cat 2015 : 90 days course“. We are starting ” 90 Days to CAT ” series. We all know the CAT exam this year is going to be held on 29th November 2015, the season of the year in which Winter season would be trying to make its biggest impact. Well the time is same for you to make the biggest impact for your MBA Journey.
You might have heard from your fellow friends, who have already cracked CAT, that they did it by giving thorough study for just 3 months. Many believe this is true while many others believe that they are faking and were preparing for more than a year. Isn’t It ? Well it is somewhat true and somewhat false, I will explain you how. The MBA preparation journey for an aspirant starts when s(he) has started thinking about MBA in their dreams. So it might be possible that a student is preparing for it from UG college days. s(he) might be cramming all those 4000 GRE word list and solving all those geometry from 10th standard books. Well that is a nice approach (say an ideal approach) to be prepared well in advance during your college days, so that once you feel to do an MBA anytime after your graduation, you would be ready to just brush up your concepts learnt already, take few serious test and achieve your dream. And there are guys who dream of MBA 3-4 months before the exam, when they had no idea of what to study, start preparation and crack it with 99+ percentiles.
Well the main concern while explaining the 3 months concept is MBA preparation doesn’t take much of your time if you plan it well and take proper reference material and follow it religiously. If you haven’t learnt all those words or have done nothing till now, its not a problem. The only problem is your mind which is still confused whether or why should I do MBA ?/ Which book to study ?/ Which coaching class to Join ? / Who among your friends will be companion in your MBA Preparation Journey ?/ What if I would not be able to cram those 4000 words ? I am not able to speak fluent English how I would be able to crack CAT and the most funny is “Is 99th percentile same as 99 percent ?”
WAIT – WAIT – WAIT … Before you think these useless things. If you wanna crack CAT with good marks, none of this is required. Just cramming words and talking in English using some of the tough words doesn’t make a person eligible for 99th + percentile. CAT or other MBA exams tests your knowledge of Verbal Ability , Quantitative Ability , Logical Reasoning and Data interpretation. You need to prepare all the sections well in a balanced way. or say not only sections but all the topics within each section in a balanced way. This exam is not designed to check your vocabulary. Though a good vocabulary might help you understanding the passage and other sections of VA well. Solving problems from all the sections sufficient enough to maintain speed and accuracy (both required) is the only to crack CAT/Other Mba Exam. Also I want to clear you about Myths of VA, that it is all about the usage of english language and your command on understanding the language and not just cramming a small part of it.
- It is about understanding an RC passage in terms of your understanding, authors understanding, critique understanding. A lots of reading a good newspaper and good novels, surely helps in this.
- It is about understanding RC as a logical sequence to understand that if there is a support given to some fact then what would be its implication.
- It is about finding the last missing sentence on the basis of understanding of whole paragraph.
- It is about completing a sentence in terms of confusing words like practise/practice and not just any random tough words which you use in day to day life to make impression in front of your friends. 😉
- It is about solving a jumbled paragraph in a sequence to make it a coherent and meaningful paragraph.
- It is about understanding the usage of verbs in different forms. For e.g. Verb ” Chip” : http://mba.webmaggu.com/blog/2014/12/03/verb-locha-use-of-word-chip/
- It is about finding if some sentence is a fact , judgement or Inference. you know “Sherlock Holmes”. ( Holmes is known for his astute logical reasoning, his ability to adopt almost any disguise, and his use of forensic science to solve difficult cases.)
So what I want to say is VA is all about your logical reasoning and understanding and not cramming, which most of us think about. Many people leave preparation before even starting because of this. They even don’t know what is actually going to be asked in exam, what is the question pattern and if its easy to crack such questions. They just relate it to fluent english in Hollywood movies. 😛
Similar approach is required in other sections which I will discuss in our upcoming articles, which will lead you to believe what you should actually believe that ” Cracking CAT is easy and I can easily do it.” Once you know the exact syllabus and the pattern of questions, you will be surprised to know that the CAT is so easy and why you were wasting so much of time in random thoughts.
Cutting short this long article.. What should you do ..
Believe in yourself (most important)
Believe in CAT (They will not ask random useless things)
Follow “(90 days to CAT)” or your own schedule
Follow our articles