(Indian Express) Lion Census 2015
Primary Census : 2 P.M. on 2nd May to 2 P.M. on 3rd May
Final Census : 2 P.M. on 4th May to 2 P.M. on 5th May
Result : 9th / 10th May by CM Anandiben Patel.
|Census Year||Population of Lion|
Personnel Involved — > 2019
CENSUS DIRECTOR > Chief Wildlife Warden of Gujarat — 1
REGIONAL OFFICERS > Chief Conservator of Forests rank, one for each region —- 8
ZONAL OFFICERS > Conservator of Forests/Dy Conservator of Forests rank, one for each zone — 30
SUB-ZONAL OFFICERS > Assistant Conservator of Forests /Range Forest Officer rank, one for each sub-zone — 106
2 Guards and 1 Forester make up each counting unit — 1,250 Assistant Enumerators (Beat Guard/Ranger) + 625 Enumerators (Forester,one for each census unit)
- 2015 census ——– twice as big as ——— 2010 census
- 22000 Km ————————————-10000 km
- 8 districts ————————————– 2 districts
- 8 districts (Rajkot, Jamnagar, Botad, Bhavnagar, Jamnagar, Porbanadar, Junagar, Gir Somnath)
Method of counting : COUNT AT SIGHT
- ENUMERATORS WILL employ the ‘Total Block Counting Method’, which is based on the direct sighting of the animal.
- Indirect evidence such as pugmarks or scat will not be considered to record the presence of a lion.
- Once spotted, the lion will be photographed, and its unique identification marks —scars on the face, shape of the ears, tuft of hair on its tail, colour, belly folds —will be recorded.
- The exact spot of the sighting will be pinned using GPS.
Art. Ref. : – CHECKING OUT THE PRIDE – http://indianexpress.com/article/explained/lion-census-2015-checking-out-the-pride/
Comment (your views) below in not more than 300 words for each of the article.