(The Hindu) IND – AFG : IN STEP WITH GHANI’s AFGHANISTAN
24th April 2015
- on watchlist of MHA
- Invoking section 46 of FCRA (Foreign Contribution Regulation Act)
IN STEP WITH GHANI’s AFGHANISTAN
- April 27, 2015 : Prez Ashraf Ghani coming to India
- Feb’14 : India – Afg relation were on high
- (India committed 2 b$ development aid & request of 3 upgraded ‘Cheetal’ helicopters from Afg.)
- (Feb’ 14 – Apr’15 ) Change :
- New govt. in Afg & Ind both
- Change in relation of Afg. with Pak, Chn, & Iran after Hamid karzai
A. AFG – PAK
- Dramatic shift in Afg. foreign policy towards ISI in relation to its link with Taliban.
- Afg. invited pak Army chief & ISI Chief.
- Terror groups attacks in Pak, sharing information on terror.
- Ghani’s desire to restart talk with Taliban which will depend upon how much Pak. delivers in terms of persuading Talibani leaders.
B. AFG – CHINA
- Traditionally, China stayed away from internal arrangement in Afg.
- Feb’15 : China desired to play constructive role in Afg.
- Oct ‘ 14 : Ghani’s visit to china
- Adv for china :
- Silk Route : To clear path to central Asia.
- Securing energy supplies to China’s burgeoning needs.
- Gwadar – kashgar link along with linking Afg. – Pak. will boost trade along the route.
C. AFG – IRAN
- P5 + 1 uplifting bans from June 30 (over Iran’s nuclear prog. )
- Economic landscape of Afg. will change with development of trade routes with Iran .
D. AFG – IND : GHani — > China (Oct. 14) —> Pakistan(Nov. 14) — > US (Mar. 2015) —> India (Apr. 2015)
- Changing Scene : US Influence \/ , China influence /\
Three negatives fro Ind – Afg. : (measure to overcome)
- Man-oeuvres against Pak’s terror threat
- Measures cutting trade with Iran because of US sanctions
- Moves countering China’s rise in neighborhood.
Final Policy decisions Reqd. from Ind:
- Ind. govt. should move quickly on other requirements requests of helicopters, jeeps & academic training to security forces in Kabul.
- Ind have to accept dialogue with pakistan on cooperating transit trade with Afg. This would strengthen Mr. Ghani’s request to Pak. to include india in APTTA (Afg. Pak transit & trade Agreement) – April 27 Talks will be done.
- Ind should revisit opposition to CHina’s Silk Route Project & play Key constructive role.
- Mr. Ghani outlined Afg’s “FIVE CIRCLE FOREIGN”
- Asian COuntries
- Islamic World
- Donor Countries
- International Instt.
Art. Ref. : In step with Ghani’s Afghanistan – http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/lead/in-step-with-ghanis-afghanistan/article7134892.ece
Comment (your views) below in not more than 300 words for each of the article.