(Indian Express) National Disaster Response Force
27th April 2015
Indian Earthquake Rescue Effort
– National Disaster Response Force (NRPF).
– 10 teams of 45 personnel each are in Nepal.
Earlier (14 years ago scenario to handle earthquake rescue)
- Bulldozers & earth movers hauled debris.
- Rescuers employed eyes and ears to search people
- Used hands to pull them out
- Sometimes Sniffer dogs helped.
Now (Scenario at present)
- Technology – Thermal Sensors & heart beat detectors can find a living person 40 -50 feet under concrete rubble.
- Technology – Smart enough to be able to distinguish between a human and an animal.
- Modern equipment can cut through concrete quickly & precisely.
- A 15- 20 ft triangular hole can be drilled to lower a camera.
- Video conversation can infuse hope in a victim.
- Precautions to ensure that debris does not fall inside & smoke is sucked up, once cutting begins, so it doesn’t suffocate trapped survivors.
- Trained to give 1st aid & attend emergencies
# CSSR – Collapsed Structure Search & Rescue.
# NDRF was established in 2006 in the wake of 2004 tsunami.
- Now considered world’s single largest dedicated disaster response force.
- Best technology & highly trained personnel.
- Can tackle all kinds of disaster – quakes, floods, major accidents, even CBRN (Chemical, Biological, Radiological, & Nuclear) emergencies.
- Capabilities match most stringent international standards.
- In line to get certification from the International search & Rescues Advisory Group.
In Past – NDRF Performance
- Finest moment coming in aftermath of the Fukushima Nuclear disaster following the great earthquake & Tsunami of February 2011.
- NDRF stayed on in the radiation zone even after all other teams had moved out. Was highly appreciated for the same.
Art. Ref. : Assessing the Indian earthquake rescue effort – http://indianexpress.com/article/explained/nepal-earthquake-what-indian-rescue-team-brings-to-ground-zero/
Comment (your views) below in not more than 300 words for each of the article.