(20th April 2015 – Indian Express) Green Power Quota, Bureaucrats need govt. nod for gifts >5000
Green Power Quota : 16 States post Below 70% Compliance
- Concept of Renewable Power Obligation (RPO) or the legally-mandated obligation on states to include green power in the overall energy mix is floundering.
- 16 states reports a compliance level less than 70%
- Study by Indian Energy Exchange ( IEX)
- 9 states including UP, Bihar, MP & Delhi have not met even half of RPO targets in last 2 yrs.
- Delhi met 3%.
- Mp – 5%
- UP & Bihar – 45% (0 % in solar RPO)
Amendments to Electricity Act 2003
- State to produce fixed %ge of power through renewable resources.
- State that fails to meet this obligation will be penalised.
Concept of Renewable Energy Certificates (REC)
- as an instrument to enable states to substitute for renewable power production is not working as planned.
- Over 62 lakh RECs remaining unsold in IEX last fiscal.
- Introduced in 2010
- Each renewable energy certificate is equivalent to 1 MWH of renewable power.
RPO is not a financial obligation but a social duty to promote greener power & better environment – Director Business Development, IEX
Art. Ref. : Green power quota: 16 states post below 70% compliance – http://indianexpress.com/article/business/business-others/green-power-quota-16-states-post-below-70-compliance/
- Dr. Nasim Zaidi assumed charge as the 20th Chief Election Commissioner (CEC)
- succeeded H. S. Brahma
Bureaucrats need govt. nod for gifts of over Rs. 5000
- Officials of All India Services (IAS, IPS & IFS) would now have to take sanction of Union govt. before accepting gift worth more than Rs. 5000
- Officials would have to report to the govt. if they accept gifts worth more than Rs. 25000 from relatives or friends.
- Amendment in All India Service (Conduct) Rules 1968
- Earlier limit was Rs.1000
- ” Gift” – Free transport, Free boarding, free lodging or any other service or pecuniary advantage when provided by a person other than a near relative or personal friend having no official dealings with member of the service.
- It does not include a casual meal, casual lift, or other social hospitality.
Art. Ref. : Babus need government nod before accepting gifts of over Rs 5,000 – http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/babus-need-government-nod-before-accepting-gifts-of-over-rs-5000/
Bills Rejected by President
Since NDA government came to power, Presidnet Pranab Mukherjee has refused assent top 10 pending bills.
- Karnataka State innovative Universities Bill, 2011
- Andhra Pradesh Self help group Women (Leasing of Agricultural Land) Bill, 2010
- Assam Gratuity (Amendment) Bill, 2009
- Factories (Karnataka Amendment) BIll, 2011
- Himachal Pradesh Electricity (Taxation on Generation) Bill, 2011
- Poison (Meghalaya Amendment) Bill, 2013
- Manipur protection of Depositors (In Financial establishmennts) Bill, 2012
- UP state authority for minority educational Institutions Bill, 2011
- TN Business Facilitation Bill 2009
- Himachal Pradesh special courts (attachment & confiscation of property) Bill , 2011.
Art. Ref. : Pranab Mukherjee’s no to 10 state Bills since NDA took over – http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/pranab-mukherjee-no-to-10-state-bills-since-nda-took-over/
Read the full article at the source : The Indian Express (Links provided).
Comment (your views) below in not more than 300 words for each of the article. Readers can also comment on the article written by other readers.